- Associate Chair, 2020 – 2021. Responsible for curriculum planning in response to the
- Group for Experimental Methods in the Humanities, founding
member. A research collective specializing in literary modeling and visualization, spatial
humanities, and knowledge design. Weekly lab meetings, monthly workshops, and lecture series. 2014 –
- Committee for Graduate Education: 2012 – 15, 2019 – 20.
- Associate Director of Graduate Studies, 2018 – 19.
- Dissertation Prize Committee, 2017 – 18.
- Committee for Undergraduate Education, 2016 – 18.
- Senior essay advising and undergraduate prize committee participation, yearly since 2012.
- Provost’s Advisory Committee on the Libraries, 2022 – 2026.
- Senior Job Search Committee, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures, AY 2022/23.
- Executive Committee, Institute for Comparative Literature and
Society, 2016 –
- Harriman Institute Executive Committee, 2021 –
- Dean Search Committee, School of Professional Studies, AY 2020/21.
- Studio at Butler, founding member, faculty advisor.
Planning, specification, and programming of the Butler Studio, a maker/lab space at the
center of Butler Library. Hosting lectures, training workshops, and open labs. 2013 –
- Faculty Working Group on Computational Humanities and Social
Science, 2016 –
- Collaboratory Proposal Selection Committee, Spring 2016
- Data Science Taskforce, 2015 – 2017.
- Ad-hoc Exploratory Committee for the Center for Culture and Computation, AY 2014/15.
- Founding Member. Digital Storytelling Lab, 2013 –
- Member of “Literary Theory” and “Theory and History of Media” University
Seminars 2013 –
- Multiple contributions to the “Strategic Plan for Humanities in the Arts and Sciences,” AY 2016/17.
- Principal convener (along with Manan Ahmed and Roosevelt Montas) of the “Connected Core”
pilot program as part of the university-wide “Core to Commencement” campaign, funded by the
College Dean’s office, AY 2016.
- Advisory Board. Studio at Butler Library (maker space),
- Manuscript reviews for Cambridge, Columbia, Duke, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, and W.W. Norton
- Article peer review for the Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL); Computational
Culture; Communication Theory; Critical AI; Digital Humanities Quarterly (DHQ);
Digital Scholarship in the Humanities (DSH); Digital Studies / Le champ numérique; History
of Humanities; International Journal of Humanities and Arts Computing;
Modernism/Modernity; Post45, Project Information Literacy; and Science, Technology &
- Grant review for The American Academy in Berlin and the National Science Foundation.
- Program Committee, International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING), Workshop
on Trolling, Aggression and Cyberbullying, 2018, 2022.
- Program Committee, Association for Computational Linguistics, Abusive Language
2017 – 18.
- Member of A. Owen Aldridge Prize Committee, American Comparative Literature Association, 2017
- Design consulting for Diller Scofidio + Renfro, 2017.
- 2 years as a managing editor of Modernism/Modernity, 2010 – 12.
- 10+ years software development and user interface design, with employees including Microsoft,
General Motors, The Greening of Detroit, MRI, MSU Libraries and Computing Provost 1996 – 04.
- 2+ years desktop publishing as assistant editor/researcher for Physician’s Press, 1998 – 00.
made w/ vim + markdown + jekyll + tachyons +
CC BY-SA 2022